Before the Groom- Preventing Cat Carrier Stress
Remember a cat will always see a carrier as a negative thing as it always leads to something they don’t enjoy! (Unless they are one of our clients that enjoy the grooming).
Here are some tips to try and see it in a more positive light;
- It is best to keep the cat carrier open in a comfortable area they like to enjoy, and easily available for your cat to walk into and even use as a bed.
- If your cat gets very stressed, a few small car trips with no negative ending, such as going straight home to a favourite treat, may reduce car stress and sickness.
- The night or morning before, depending on the time of your appointment, keep your cat secluded in an area of the house. Many cats run off and hide before their appointments. Keeping them away from a hiding spot is recommended. Pushing a cat out from under the bed with a broom is not! This is a bad way to start a groom or vet appointment and can lead to being too stressed for grooming.
- It is normal for a cat to the soil (wee and poo), in its carrier on the way to the vet, so please make sure there is something to soak up any mishaps, a towel or bFeliwaythey normally use is good.
- Rescue remedy or a feliway spray can help the journey and grooming too. Spray on the bedding and let it sit for 1 hour before use.
- Always follow travel in the carrier with a treat or favourite food.